I'm a girl from Sydney, Australia and I've just purchased a 2008 CT110. It's due to be delivered to me on Friday this week.
I will first be getting it registered, then plan to start customising it almost straight away.
I want to basically pare back and simplify the bike, as well as:
- Replacing the turn signal lights (front and back) to bullet style, with the front pair on the end of a metal bar.
- Re-upholstering the seat to brown leather and trimming down the foam so it isn't as thick.
- Replacing the handlebars to a lower style riding position.
- Replacing the hand grips to some bicycle hand grips. (Going to use these Brooks "Ring" Type Leather Handlebar Grip if I can figure out how to make them fit. Any ideas??)
- Replacing the brake light to a bobber style (I've found one I like but it is round – need to figure out how to adapt the existing rectangular mount to fit.)
- Replacing the side mirrors to lower ones or clamp-ons on the ends of the handlebars.
AND FINALLY... Repainting the entire bike.
I think that's the full list of mods I would like to make.
Bear in mind that I have never attempted anything like this before. I did always enjoy building Mechano!!
I'm hoping to do most of the work myself (with a little help from some friends whenever I can drag them into it).
The part I'm most concerned about is putting the bike back together after I take it apart for re-painting. I'm also not sure if I should attempt to paint it myself. I have been quoted $220 to re-spray the frame, and it will probably only be a bit more if I get the other metal parts done too. Maybe I can paint the plastic parts myself?
What do you all think?
Any advice will be hugely appreciated! And I'd love people to follow me through the process. I'll post photos along the way, as well as questions as they come up.
First questions are here:
- What order should I attack these modifications in?
- How should I approach the dismantle and rebuild?
- Do you think I can do it?!
Thanks to you all! And I hope to hear back from some of you!!
Pia x x